Thursday, September 1, 2011

Why I'm here


So this is my first blog entry written here at my new home in Hollywood, California. I've been feeling a lot of mixed emotions. In one sense I feel very overwhelmed and I am kind of frightened. In another sense I'm very excited. Excited about what this new year may bring and how I will grow.
As for the being in Hollywood, the home of the entertainment industry. It's all very surreal. I mean Paramount Pictures Studios is right down the road. They film Glee, Community, Dr. Phil, etc. just a 30 second walk down our street! I see the Hollywood sign everyday. There's just a lot of perks like that serving in this city which I am very excited about. As a lot of you may know I hope to somehow break into the acting/directing business and what better place to do it than here.
About that though I am always very hesitant to explain that I want be an actor to people because then I fear people will think "Oh well that's the only reason you're doing this." It isn't though. I like helping people and if nothing else I think that is what we are called to do. I just really love acting too and would also love putting my own stories that I come up with to film. And yeah, honestly that's how I decided to go into missions. It all started with me wanting to move to Hollywood to try to be an actor. But everybody does that and don't know where to start once they get there. I hope to make a lot of connections while I'm here and learn from others with more experience how I can find acting jobs. More about me wanting to be an actor later.
Anyway so I've been trying to avoid telling people how I chose to come here to serve. Maybe it's true though. Maybe I wouldn't be doing service if I didn't want to be an actor. I know it sounds terrible but what if it's true? Sometimes it makes me wonder. But look at it this way, that is if you're into the whole God having a plan for everybody thing, maybe God put in this urge for me to want to be an actor because he wanted me to go into voluntary service. That could be another way to look at it. I just thought of that idea now actually. It's an intriguing concept.

2 comments:

  1. What did you think about the sermon today, Nathan? No matter what work you do, do it for the glory of God.....I don't have any trouble with you wanting to act, by the way. :) - Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I liked the sermon. Some jobs are hard to do it for the glory of God though. Tyler and I were actually just talking about this yesterday. Like say you're a salesperson of things people don't really need like fancy cars or something. Isn't that like the opposite of what God wants us to focus on? So I guess what I'm trying to say is how do people in the marketing industry do it for God? Tough questions.

    ReplyDelete