Friday, January 20, 2012

Living in Community


     I first applied to DOOR very late into the game. Thus, I don't think I had as much time as some of the others who applied earlier to really understand all of the details this year would be including. The main reason I applied was to learn more about homelessness and work in it. I honestly didn't really think about the whole living in community part.

     It's not that I didn't think I would have to deal with it at all. I knew there were going to be some challenges. I just didn't know the scale of how large these challenges would be. There's our meetings that can last hours because we have people that love to talk in our group, we have people that are very opinionated and that I don't necessarily agree with all the time, and that can lead to disagreements that can take hours to solve.
     A lot of people seem to think that living in community is the purpose of life. That was why we were created. I don't necessarily completely disagree with that. In the movie "Into the Wild," based on a true story, a young man, Christopher McCandless, abandons his possessions, gives his entire $24,000 savings account to charity and hitchhikes to Alaska to live in the wilderness on his own. In the end we learn that he realizes that happiness is only real when it is shared (for that is the last thing he writes right before he dies from food poisoning).
     However, this scenario of being a vagabond, living on my own in the wilderness, is one that I have considered in the past and it still seems appealing even now after I've seen the movie. I love being out in nature and I struggle interacting with people. Almost seems perfect for me. Though, I still would love to find a spouse someday and have a family of my own. If anybody ever comes across a job where it involves hiking in a place as beautiful as Glacier National Park and not interacting with people, let me know. That's probably my only alternative career option after acting/directing.
     I just don't think living in community is for everyone. I like to compare humans to the animal kingdom sometimes. I believe in evolution and don't think it's too farfetched to compare us to our wild brothers and sisters. There are just some things in our nature that we can't really help. Anyway back to the point. In documentaries of any kind of species that live in groups, there's always that one animal that is off on it's own, either because it's not accepted in the group or it just likes to be alone (or both). I see myself as that animal. Maybe I'm just best off on my own, or with one other person (aka a best friend or girlfriend). I always do better in one on one situations.

1 comment:

  1. Doing "best in one-on-one" situations doesn't confirm you don't need community, it just means you are more introverted. Have you thought about the clients who are "going it alone, determined to do it on their own no matter what?" How does that work out for them, from your point of view? - M

    ReplyDelete