Monday, May 28, 2012

Why I'm a Pacifist

     It amazes me that there are so many Bible reading Christians out there that believe killing another human being can sometimes be okay. Especially when it comes to saving your life. People will justify war by saying it's self-defense. Not that it isn't, but did you skip over the part in the Bible where Jesus says "Love your enemies," or "Turn the other cheek?"
     I am happy I was raised with a Christian upbringing (especially Mennonite) because if I hadn't I probably wouldn't have even thought about this topic and would have been okay with war. Thanks to my wanting to know why God has certain rules I have some good arguments that I can use to defend my beliefs. If we don't question God's motives, we won't know how to defend them. I often can't just "Trust in the Lord my God, and lean not on my own understanding." I need to know why God says them. Often I just find that God was only speaking to the people of that time period and that specific culture and it doesn't apply today. But I'm pretty sure loving your enemies and turning the other cheek applies today.
     I realize that not everyone reading this is necessarily a Christian. Let me try to explain why killing in all forms is wrong without God being the center of the argument. Let me put it this way... It's another human being! Somebody just by chance is born in a different country, is taught that these other people (us) are bad people. We all know that every human being grows up generally having the same beliefs as their parents. None of us can choose which culture we were born into. "The world in which you were born is just one model of reality. OTHER CULTURES ARE NOT FAILED ATTEMPTS AT BEING YOU; they are unique manifestations of the human spirit."

     Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity. The two just don't go together. Why are we so quick to retaliate after an attack? Next time there's a terrorist attack on America I encourage us not to retaliate and just see the response the other side has. They might be so confused and eventually apologize for the attack. Who knows? Or they might just think we're weak and attack again (that's probably what you're thinking they'd do). But what if we do another thing that Jesus says and forgive 7x70 times? (I think he probably just meant always forgive. 490 is a random number.) After all if Jesus said it we best obey, right? At least that's what most Christians think. I'm not entirely convinced but since the general population of people who read my blogs are Christian, it's probably best I argue in a way you can understand. Have a nice day!


1 comment:

  1. You can read about my journey from Marine to Christian Pacifist with the look inside feature on amazon, here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Pacifism-Fruit-Narrow-ebook/dp/B005RIKH62/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_1

    ReplyDelete