Friday, August 31, 2012

Why I'm Pro-Choice

     I haven't always been pro-choice. In fact, only in the past year have I made this decision. I am a pacifist so naturally I thought that I had to be completely against abortion.... It's killing, isn't it?
     The way I see it is if a woman doesn't want to have a baby, she shouldn't have to. Simple as that. (Yes Tyler, that is a direct quote from you. I hope you're okay with me stealing it). Please do not say, "Well it's her fault for having unprotected sex." Chances are she was giving into the man's desires and if not then it's America's fault for not teaching it's students about safe sex (you can read about that in one of my other blog posts).
     A huge problem in America is the overwhelming amount of single mother families with very low income. I feel like a lot of the people against abortion come from supportive families that are financialy stable. They don't see the problem with having an extra mouth to feed in the house. That's just an opinion though. I could be wrong, but it definitely seems like it. The world is over-populated. That should be a deciding factor right there.
     As for the whole killing thing, let's be honest, none of us can remember being a baby, especially not in our mother's womb. I don't see it as being any worse than killing an animal. So let's not dwell on what could have been. What is done, is done.
     All that said, I have grace for those who's stance on abortion is based on the fact that they are aware that their parents considered aborting them. I'm pretty sure I would be against abortion too if I knew my parents considered aborting me. That's a tough one. People against abortion DO have a good argument if they use this. I'm not saying it's right but it's better than the arguments used to defend their other conservative beliefs (sorry I'm generalizing that all people against abortion are conservative. I just couldn't think of a better way to phrase it). But like I said before, don't dwell on what could have been. Be thankful that you are alive and leave it at that.
     If you are still against abortion, that's fine. I just ask you to please have some grace on mothers that do decide to have an abortion because I'm sure it's a tough decision no matter what your stance on it is. Nobody wants the baby to die, some people are just not at the stage in life where they are ready for a baby.
   

1 comment:

  1. Why should I not say it's her fault for having unprotected sex?!? Chances are she knows how babies are made when she had sex, but refused to acknowledge the consequences (ie. responsibilities) that follow with a child. If she didn't want those responsibilities then don't even have sex in the first place! It's a simple problem in society today of not looking ahead to the consequences of choices and refusing to accept them when they come.

    ReplyDelete