Friday, November 2, 2012

How I use facebook

     I hear a lot of complaints about facebook. People complaining about how others use it. A lot of these complaints are pretty much the exact way I use facebook. Here are some of these complaints... "I hate when people post so many status updates on facebook!" or "I hate when people use facebook to debate politics and religion!"
     Since I use facebook in the way you say is wrong I feel the need to defend myself. I need to explain why I use facebook the way I do.
     First of all, if you don't care about what I have to say in my status updates, don't read them. Just because you don't care it doesn't mean others don't. It also doesn't mean that I'm conceited and think everybody should care. It's just... why not share what's on my mind? It doesn't take long to type out and it tells people a little bit about me, what I find interesting. It also might spark a good discussion. "Why don't you think it's interesting, or do you agree with me?"
     A lot of people don't think facebook should be used to discuss politics and religion. Why not though? To the right is a meme I'm not a big fan of. We live in a new age of communication. We can now discuss important issues and learn from each other on a larger scale. I think the internet, especially facebook since it's so popular, is a perfect way to do this. In fact I prefer it. I would rather discuss these controversial topics through text instead of in person. In person I just want to be friends with everyone and not let these disagreements tear us apart and will avoid talking about them. Not that they are tearing us apart discussing them online.
     I don't know. Maybe I should stop using facebook in the way I do. Often I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with my points anyway. That's one of my opinions, that people are extremely stubborn with the beliefs they were taught growing up. Anyway, what do you think? Should I stop using facebook as a discussion website? Should I stop updating my status as often as I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment