Friday, November 9, 2012

Maybe people can't handle the truth

     Here's a good question for philosopher's like me... If I'm right about certain things, can people handle knowing the truth? I don't believe in the god that most people believe in. I'm not sure if I even believe in God at all. I think there is something out there that we do not understand yet but as science improves we are constantly learning more about the universe. I believe we do not need a god.
     
     Why am I questioning my own beliefs, you ask? I'm not questioning them per say, I am merely questioning as to whether people need that extra motivation (God) to help them. I know lots of people who claim that if it weren't for them knowing that God loves them and is there to help them they would not be able to get through the hard times that they went through. In my line of work I encounter people who were alcoholics or drug addicts that got through their addictions because of "God." And they are certain that if they hadn't put their trust in the Lord they would still be living the way they did before... wasting time with their addictions. You know what? I believe them. I really do! I believe it was all in their head but the head is a powerful thing. The idea that the most powerful being in the universe loves YOU is a very intriguing concept. But with knowing that people can abuse it. That's where the whole judgment thing comes in. If others don't have the exact same beliefs, God does not love them as much. Of course no one would ever admit to thinking that but I believe thats basically the psychology behind judgmental thoughts. Psychology is probably not the word I'm looking for. Can't think of it. You get the point though.
     
     Here's a quote I like... “When the stakes are this high- when calling God by the right name can make the difference between eternal happiness and eternal suffering, it 
is impossible to respect the beliefs of others who don't believe as you do.”
     
     Despite how often I get told that people respect my beliefs and will not judge me for not believing in the same god as they do, I think that's a bunch of BS. People tell me that they don't believe and trust in God because of the whole after life thing, but really, how can you ignore that part? It makes a huge difference!
     So I touched on the whole people thinking they wouldn't be where they are without God thing. And I believe them. But if everybody in the world accepted that they were alone in the universe and can help each other instead of relying on God, maybe there would be no need for God anymore. I don't need God. I'm as happy in life as I was back when I did consider myself a Christian, if not, happier. Of course I've never had to worry about getting over a serious addiction though. I don't know, maybe people can't handle the truth. Below is a video I would like for you to watch. If you don't want to watch the whole thing start at about around 6:00 min. into it. Pay close attention to what he says. He makes some very good points.



2 comments:

  1. When Frey suggests that a person who looks at the beauty of nature and says it is proof of God...I agree we express a very incomplete view of God and creation if we don't take a look at the evil as well. I would suggest that it is proof that the world needs redemption and that the disease and pain and suffering and injustice are all signs of that. Persons like addicts who have found that and give God the credit are a bit of the first fruits of that. The world is groaning...but the king and kingdom are coming and the transformation has started.

    There is a great article by N.T. Wright and I will try to post the link... http://www.spu.edu/depts/uc/response/summer2k5/features/evil.asp

    I had put more of it but am limited by # of characters so I shall only put a small portion:

    "We are not to suppose that the world as it currently is, is the way God intends it to be at the last.....When we then go to the Gospels for help, we should listen to what they actually say. Matthew tells the story of God-with-us, Emmanuel, with us in the middle of the swirling, raging waters, asleep in the boat on the lake, vulnerable to the screams of the demoniacs and the plots of the Pharisees, undermined by his own associates and finally hunted down by the chief priests and handed over to the imperial authorities. Matthew would forbid us to ask the question about the tsunami in terms of a God who sits upstairs and pulls the puppet-strings to make things happen, or not, as the case may be, down here. We can and must only tell the story in terms of the God who is with his people in the midst of the mighty waters: the God who was swept off his feet and out to sea, the God who lost his parents and family, the God who was crushed under falling concrete and buried in mud. And then we have to learn to tell the story, as well, in terms of the God who rescued others while not saving himself; the God who worked night and day to recover bodies and some still alive; the God who rushed to the scene with all the help he can muster; the God who gave not only generously but lavishly to help the relief effort. Truly, if we believe in Matthew’s God, the Emmanuel, we must learn to see God in that way. Remember that when Jesus died the earth shook and the rocks were torn in pieces, while the sky darkened at noon. God the creator will not always save us from these dark forces, but he will save us in them, being with us in the darkness and promising us, always promising us, that the new creation which began at Easter will one day be complete, and that with that completion there will be full healing, full understanding, full reconciliation, full consolation."

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.spu.edu/depts/uc/response/summer2k5/features/evil.asp

    ReplyDelete