Saturday, December 15, 2012

"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" Review

     Well the time has come. I have waited 9 years to return to Middle Earth for the first time again, and now I finally can thanks to "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey." I think I have been tracking this movie's progress on IMDb ever since it was even rumored that they were going to make it. Had to have been since at least 2007. It drove me crazy that they kept delaying production! But it's here now, and I literally had to be one of the first people to see it. I went and saw it at 12:05am Friday morning. Now I think I want to share my thoughts and opinions on it. So here goes!
     When the reviews started coming in a week or two ago I started to get worried for a lot of them were not positive. Currently on RottenTomatoes.com it has a 66%, which to me is pretty low. I started thinking that we might have a Star Wars prequels thing going on. George Lucas, who was once considered to be one of the best directors in the business is now considered to be one of the worst when he went and ruined Star Wars with the prequels. "Could this happen with PJ!?" I thought. Well in my opinion that did not happen with "The Hobbit." And pretty much everybody I know who's seen it has loved it just as much as me. So fuck the critics. I'm not sure what they're talking about. I will agree, however, that it was not as good as any of the LOTR films. So now let me go into the specifics of what I did and didn't like about it.
     Take in mind that I did not see the 48fps version or 3D version either. That seemed to be one of the major complaints by the critics. I've heard watching it that way has some negative effects on you; migraines, headaches, etc. However, that kind of goes into one of the major things I didn't like about the film. The CGI seemed to have gotten worse since the original trilogy ten years ago. How does that happen? It was very cartoony at times. Reminded me of the Narnia movies. Kind of gross and distracting. Most of the orcs and goblins were CGI instead of real people in prosthetics. That was also something I didn't like. They didn't look the same as the ones from 10 years ago.
     Despite there being pretty bad CGI, they obviously used the same technique to do Gollum because he looked just as real as he did before. Gollum... His part of the film was definitely my favorite. They absolutely nailed the "Riddles in the dark" sequence! Andy Serkis is such a genius! He should get an oscar. Too bad that is like Gollum's only part of the film. I think Peter Jackson was right to hire him as the Second Unit Director as well.
     In general this film was a lot more light hearted than the LOTR. You could almost call it a comedy. Lots of humor! Gimli was comic relief in the original trilogy, so it was safe to assume that all dwarves have a comedic element to them, and Peter Jackson really played on that. I loved their interactions with Bilbo, played by Martin Freeman. And like I said before, the Bilbo and Gollum scene was great because of the comedic elements.
     Another thing the critics complained about was the pacing. I honestly had no problem with it. It's a Peter Jackson film so of course it's gonna be longer than most other movies. Just get used to it. Didn't seem to be a dull moment to me.
     You know how every LOTR movie had a great ending and it was always very emotional and played the famous theme song. I thought it was kind of funny for this one because it was obvious that they tried to go for the same effect, but weren't so successful. They tried to make us care about the relationship between Bilbo and Thorin. Basically they had played off that Thorin didn't like Bilbo for the majority of the time and then Bilbo finally won his respect at the end of the movie. It was kind of sweet but it just wasn't as important as they thought it would be. Hey, at least they tried.
     The part of the ending that I did like was we got a glimpse of The Lonely Mountain. Now that WAS emotional and gave me goosebumps! ....And then they gave us a glimpse of the bad CGI dragon sleeping and buried under the treasure.
     In all, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" was very good. I was not disappointed as I feared I would be. It was great to see some new parts of Middle Earth but also get to see some familiar parts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment