Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Positives

     In most of my blog posts you usually find me complaining about religion. Christianity in particular. And also in my everyday life I spend a big portion of my time thinking about how Christians are making the world a crappy place to live in. I have to acknowledge though the good things that are coming from the church.
     Possibly the best thing the church offers is a place to build community. Now that I am out in the real world making a living I am finding it hard to find friends and have a social life. When in school you are forced to be around a big group of people your age all the time and with that comes friendships. I have made the decision that I don't want religion to be a part of my life at the moment and because of this I am sacrificing having a better community of friends. There are all sorts of church Community groups in Los Angeles with lots of young people in them that I could easily go to right now, and they would turn into my friends and I wouldn't feel as lonely as I do now. I can't be a part of that though. I would either remain silent during our discussions and have the frustration building up inside me because I don't agree with what they are saying, or annoy the crap out of them because I am always arguing with them. So basically if you don't want to feel lonely, go to church. Just acknowledge that the reasons you are going are a bit selfish.
     This next part I hate to admit but there might be some truth to it. Christians, from what I've noticed, although I'm probably wrong, tend to be less of assholes than those who didn't grow up in the church. Maybe I've just had bad experiences with those outside the church but in general this is what I've noticed. Obviously though there are always exceptions and there are plenty of very nice people who aren't Christians. When I say assholes I'm talking about basic things like not being compassionate. I didn't realize this until recently, but the idea of forgiveness is mostly only a Christian term. And I think forgiveness is one of the most important things in life. Don't get me wrong though, Christians are still to blame for a lot of suicides in the gay community because their family and friends wouldn't accept them for who they are. And Christians are to blame for the slow growth of many scientific and medical improvements. They are still to blame for a lot of what is wrong with the world but at least they are nice about it.
     Okay so I am bored now and am having troubling thinking of more to say. You get the point. Christianity isn't all bad. I think I'd better stick to complaining about it though. There is always room for improvement. More to come soon.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you'd always be welcome to argue with me. - Matthew

    ReplyDelete