Sunday, March 3, 2013

Understanding Feminism

     As one who has considered themselves a feminist for some time now, I really have to look into why I am in fact a feminist, and what really is the definition of a feminist. I think it's a lot more than we realize and I don't think anyone is a true feminist.
     I became a feminist for kind of selfish, yet legit, reasons. It started with when I began to try online dating. Since I am rather young to start online dating, there weren't many girls my age on the sites. I realized that most women will not date men no more than a couple years younger than them but they have no problem dating men significantly older than them. I have never had a problem with the idea of dating a girl older than me. This got me thinking about it a lot. I decided that this was sexist.
     Women, as much as they're willing to admit it or not, still see men as sort of the dominate sex. They see them as a sense of security. When a man is younger than them he has less experience in life and therefore they loose a bit of that sense of security.
     I had a problem with that for a while. But then again, I started to really think about it, and maybe that isn't so bad. Before you go and call me sexist, keep reading. You'll learn that you're just as sexist as me.
     Here's a little fun dating question that you may have heard (if you're a boy), "Would you date a girl that's taller than you?" Or if you're a girl, "Would you date a guy shorter than you?" The fact that that is even a question should cause you to question your feminist beliefs. Aside from the fact that I'm 6 foot 3, I don't think I would date a girl taller than me. Why though? It goes back to the whole man being dominant physically, because they are the security. They should not be stronger. I should not feel dominated physically. I'm being a little sarcastic here but deep down I think most people really think that.
     Women have always complained about men being sexist and making sexist jokes, as they have every right to. They complain that statistically men tend to make more money doing the same jobs as women. But ladies, it isn't helping the cause when you expect the man to pay for you on dates. It also doesn't help when you expect the man to open doors for you, and the whole "Ladies first" rule. As a man, I am always willing to pay for the woman on a date. I do this because I know it's expected, and I do this because I am just downright bad a finding dates in the first place. It's not gonna help me to have yet another reason for a girl not to like me.
     One of the biggest contributors in the sexism throughout history and in every culture is that every god in every major religion is a male or father figure. This right here I think is the biggest problem. We can only seem to see the ruler that watches over us as a man. Why is this? That's all I'm asking. I don't have an answer. Religion isn't really important in my life right now for various reasons. I guess the male hierarchy problem plays into it.
     One last thing that I've noticed people do.. Ever notice how you always assume someone else's pet is male. "What's his name?" You ask. Or ever notice that when stating something about another driver on the road you assume the driver is a man? These all prove how much of the male gender is dominating our culture. But at least we call our great nation of America a woman. Maybe there IS hope after all ;)
     So there you go. I realize that I'm not even scraping the surface of what it means to be a feminist. I didn't go into the whole women having the right to wear whatever they want and it being the man's problem for looking at her lustfully. That's a little more of a touchy subject. And I didn't go into the abortion thing and women having the right to choose what's right for their bodies. I definitely believe they do. I just wanted to open your mind to consider the things I've mentioned and form your own opinions based on what I've brought to your attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment